Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Nailed it: Parenting Edition

As we got strapped into the car from preschool the other day I took a moment to read yet another "ouch report" for DC (he gets one almost every day). As I was reading RJ timidly calls out from the backseat, "Mommy? Is that the note from Ms Lisa?"

I immediately bristled. RJ has NEVER gotten a note home...Ever. "No honey. Was Ms Lisa going to send a note home today?"

She stared at the floor and sheepishly replied, "She said she was gonna."

My adrenaline began pumping and I could hear the blood beginning to rush in my ears. I tried to remain calm so as not to alert RJ to the impending danger. "Why was she going to send a note home honey?" I tried to sound as natural as I could.

She sunk lower in her carseat and mumbled "Because I was being disrespectful."

And without another word I jumped out of the running car (still parked in car line) and bolted into the front office leaving both kids helplessly strapped into their carseats. (Just for the record the front office was only about 10 feet away from my car and I could see them through the plate glass doors.)

"Did Ms Lisa leave a note for me before she left for the day?" I demanded.

After a few minutes of searching and coming up empty I decided to handle it in the morning. I returned to the car to question RJ the whole way home.

"I don't knowwwwwwwww what I did wrong," she kept protesting.

I will spare you the play by play but I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

"Fine," I said. "Then until you can 'remember' exactly how it was that you were disrespectful to your teacher you will have no TV and no iPad." (She has quite the affinity for watching German and Korean cartoons on YouTube on my iPad.)

Of course this was met with screams of protest and enough tears that I thought we may need life jackets before making it to the house. However, I stood my ground. I refused to be manipulated and that type of behavior (disrespecting your elders) will not be tolerated in my house.

The rest of the evening was quite the battle as DC was allowed to watch TV and RJ was quarantined to the kitchen straining to hear the sounds of the cartoons playing in the den. I continued to question her throughout the evening but each time she was adamant that she "didn't know" what she did wrong.

That's fine I thought. We'll get the real story in the morning.

The next morning I hunted down Ms Lisa in the gym- RJ sheepishly trailing behind me, head hung, staring at the floor.

"Did you need to talk to me about yesterday?" I blurted out to Lisa as soon as I saw her.

She looked at me perplexed and didn't say anything. I could see her eyes searching for an answer.

I relayed what RJ had told me about being disrespectful and busting herself about the note that was supposed to come home.

Without missing a beat Ms Lisa burst out laughing. "No no no!!! That was another child! RJ saw me writing the note and asked about it but she didn't do anything wrong!!"

RJ looked up at us with a timid glimmer of hope in her eyes.

"Sweetie, you didn't do anything wrong yesterday! You are just fine! Now go play with your friends," Ms Lisa encouraged.

And there you have it. Yet another instance of my flawless parenting...you're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment